Last fall I visited a small local town not far from own with my mother, for a day of sight seeing and shopping.

The town is a beautiful and lively artistic piece of heaven.  Both in sight, and in the lovely variety of shops, tea rooms, and local Artists stores offering everything from paintings, blown glass, pottery and recycled items made into something amazing.
I will have a follow up post soon that provides more information about this oasis called Almonte, but for "Art" purposes, I wanted to edit some of my photos to try and capture that old world feel the town still personifies.



She wasn’t doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together.

~ J.D. Salinger, “A Girl I Knew”




One's destination is never a place,
but a new way of seeing things.

~ Henry Miller

There's something about small town living.   That habit of lifting one hand from the steering wheel in a greeting that is understood and returned with a slight nod of the headThe way the sounds of cows mooing and coyotes howling drifts in with the cool spring breeze, and mingles with the whisper of vehicles along the highway on the outskirts of town.  There used to be a train whistle too, but that is no more, as the tiny town station gave way to the bigger, fancier free Wifi version available in the city down the stretched out highway.   There's no Starbucks.  No Target.   No chain restaurants save a McDonald's, a Subway and Dominoes pizza.   You can tell a local resident born and bred by the Ma and Pa deep dish variety that they prefer.  My kids sadly worship at the chain of Dominoes.  Which is why I cook up fresh salmon on those nights.  The cat circling a figure eight around my legs.

 Small Town Simplicity.   There's just something about being raised in the comfort and slower pace of a world that still shakes hands to seal a deal.   We aren't so rural that chickens run about in our yard; but we're not city enough that it's surprising to wake up with wild turkey in your yard.   You know I've always found the big city lights and the trappings seen under them mighty tempting.  I used to think that was were all the "Art" was: live theatre, museums, music symphonies, and Art Galleries and I could dream of one day owning an actual piece of Art.   But then I travel to a little town off the beaten map and discover Art is truly everywhere.  There's so much history in these small towns.  So many stories to be told.  So many talented people as yet undiscovered, but creating incredible, unique works.   And now I dream of owning some local talented artists creation.  Whether it's a photograph, a painting, or a knitted sweater.   Supporting local business feels very important now.   Especially if towns such as this one, and my own, are to continue on and flourish. 

I can't say that everyone knows my name, or that I know theirs.   I suffer no illusions that we are necessarily safer.   I mean a cow ran into the school yard the other day!   But I feel the sense of community is strong and I want my kids to grow up with that security.  A feeling that they belong somewhere.  That they can not only SEE the stars, but they can still reach for them.   There are no limits to what they can do.  They are not bound by these small borders.   They can build a life of their own right here, or seek it elsewhere.   But I hope he lessons learned stay for a lifetime. 






Saturday Art @ ImagesByCW