Good Morning and welcome to Coffee Chat!!

I am your host Rory (or Leslie to those in the know) and... I'm Listening.


Have you ever read Dear Abby?
Or written to an advice column?

Wait, you've been seeing someone else to chat?!!!
You're..... cheating on me?

Please... was her coffee better than mine?


Time out for Mom




Tuesday, May 24th, 2016

Congrats - you're the new Ask Abby!!!  
What's the first letter you choose to answer? 
(write the letter and your answer.)

I thought this would be fun to do.   
The way I thought of it was rather odd, as it was while I was trying to get back into the flow of my Sunset Cool Down story -- now that I have my Word program functioning properly again.   I am a part where I will have to write some long conversation between Mike and Callie (with much interjection from one nervous and excited little boy), and also cutting to scenes with dialogue with Mike's sister and her husband where they are talking about Mike's personal situation.

And I was just.... how... do... you.....  Words??
It's a LOT easier to speak, than it is to write my friends. 

Hence; writing project.   But make it fun.
Because who doesn't need some good advice every now and then.


Dear Abby,

I have this friend who is prone to making very bad life choices.    Like the time she invited me to dinner with her and husband, and attempted to set me up with another gentleman guest, and I discovered she was actually having an affair with this man.  I mean really?  She invited her lover to dinner at the family home?!   When I spoke to her about this the next day, I told her "I knew that you didn't like motorcross that much!!  Is this bike racer the reason you have been going to the races so much?"   And can you believe she replied, "No - that guy had a bad accident and is in the hospital with a back brace... this guy is his room mate. We met while I was visiting at the hospital."   Wait, I said -- do you mean to say you are cheating on the man you were cheating with?!   Oh yes she was Abby.  But the real kicker proved a greater shock: she's pregnant!!   Your guess is as good as mine as to which one is the father.   Honestly, I don't know if I can continue being friends with this person. I know we all have struggles and things we deal with; but this kind of behaviour just seems pointless and so hurtful.   What do I do?  Is it time to ditch my friend?


Single with Morals in Wampa

Dear Single:

I was relieved to see you sign "Single," because I think it's a fairly good bet if you were not; your "friend" would no doubt soon have your boyfriend in her bed.  And I fear it's already over crowded in there.   You are right: we all deserve happiness -- but you're not supposed to lie and cheat to get it.  Being purposely hurtful is just plain mean.   Her putting you in the middle of her affairs is not what a good friend should do.  I will not judge your friend being willing to express her sexuality; as you may not be aware of any bedroom issues within her marriage.  However,  she did take vows with ONE man, and if she cannot uphold them: best to move along.   And now a child will be dragged along into the messes she creates.  If you care about her enough and want to help, by all means that is your choice.  You may be a better friend than I.    Her behaviour is self destructive in nature, and the only warning I can give is if you decide to continue the friendship, is that you will be likely be sucked down into the same pit she occupies.  Remember that old proverb about lying down with dogs?   It's probably the same regarding alley cats.   

Sincerely, Abby
 

Whoa!?
Can you just?

Well, this actually happened to  me.   
Meaning I was the friend put in the middle.  Don't worry!!  Me and Left Brain are just fine.   All is A Ok.    
To be honest though, this situation is ever so much more messy if I had provided all the details - but I won't.   I would rather forget this period of my life ever happened.  Though I do think about that "friend" quite often and wonder how she is doing.  And whom.

So it just goes to show you -- those letters that seem so "out there" are actually not so far fetched.   There are real people behind them.  Which I guess it's good to keep that other proverb in mind:  that everyone has a story and you don't know what pain someone is hiding.   With the wisdom that comes with age and experience, I now realize that my friend back then must have been hurting quite deeply.   Young as I was, I would not have been able to likely help her much.  But I hope that she did find someone who could be a good friend and listening ear. 
And yeah, hopefully they are single!   

Feel free to write a sample letter for your post.   You can answer it as "Abby" or let your readers answer in the comments.   There are lots of Hot Topics to choose from these days.   In particular I find Etiquette Questions so very interesting because I fear basic manners are slowly becoming a thing of the past. 

If you don't want to write a letter, perhaps write about the best advice you've ever been given.