I got this idea from Eli over at Coach Daddy

Coach has soooo many great blog ideas!!  Like, so many I get jealous sometimes that I didn't write the post.   But then I see his little Star Wars mini figures, or he mentions pizza, and I just can't be mad at him and keep coming back for more.

I can't quit him. 

Have you ever read one of the amazing 6 Words posts?   Do yourself a favour and hop on over to the coolest dad's blog home on the web, and check them out.    I am willing to bet there will burgers, or pizza; probably both.

Anyway, this is kinda the same idea, but different.    Basically, tell the story of your life in 6 Songs.
I am taking a bit of liberty here, because I am not sure I can sum up my actual life in six songs.  It's hard enough to choose only 6 songs: for anything!

So here you have essentially my Philosophy of Life in Six Songs.
Which come to think of it, may not be that far off at all.

This was a hard task y'all.   Just like my iPod warning me every time I want to add another tune "storage is full," and then I must do the painstaking task of deleting some song -- rather like the musical edition of Sophie's Choice:  I had to narrow it down to those songs that really speak to my heart.  Those that are a true reflection of my inner self.

These songs speak to me on so many levels.  About Life.  Love.  Laughter.  Loss.
On an ever changing roster of what do I feel like listening to today, these are the ones that seem
to never make the cut.

They're my gold standard. 

1.  Bare Necessities - The Jungle Book

And don't spend your time lookin' around
For something you want that can't be found
When you find out you can live without it
And go along not thinkin' about it
I'll tell you something true
 
The bare necessities of life will come to you
I do believe I have said many times on this blog my fondness for being still.  To appreciate the stillness, the silence, and to see the beauty all around us. 
A simple life is not boring.  There is meaning in the menial. 

2.  Take Me Home, Country Roads -- John Denver

Now of course I do not live in West Virginia, but it's not the specifics of the location in this song; but the sentiment.   Home.  A place we all belong.  When it calls to you, I hope you know the road that leads you back there.  For me, it literally would be some country roads, where the scenery is so beautiful, getting there is part of the adventure. 


3.  Follow You, Follow Me -- Genesis


Pure Romance.
This. Song.  I don't know why.  something about it just speaks to my heart.  About the kind of love we all dream about, search for; hope we grow old with.  I will follow you... will you follow me?  Yes, and Yes. 

and this line:

"Close at hand I'm better for the smile you give"


*heavy female sigh*


4.  Stay Gold - Stevie Wonder

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton was one of the first books I read as a young girl that had a profound effect on me.  There was just something about PonyBoy Curtis and Johnny and Dallas Winston that made you want to be friends with them; hug them close, or have your first kiss.  Innocence, gritty realism, romance... danger.  Oh boy... I can still remember sitting in my bed reading it for the 100th time, and still getting lost in the story.  And then the movie came out!  Hello boys!



But, the part that spoke to me the most -- that awoke the poet within me, was the mention of Robert Frost's poem "Nothing Gold Can Stay"

And then Stevie Wonder did an absolutely beautiful theme song, that incorporated Frost sentiment.
To this day I still consider daily getting a tattoo that says "Stay Gold."

Or, maybe Greaser Forever. :)


5.  ABC - the Jackson 5 - I must DANCE!

Honestly, that's it.  no deeper meaning here.  and you could substitute a hundred different songs.  Just as long as it gets my toe tapping and my booty shaking. 
You just have to dance like no one is watching.   It's a moral imperative people!


6.  Feel Real - Deptford Goth

Different kind of music for me -- but that's what I love about music: it can change with my moods. It speaks to me on so many levels.  It sweeps away the dust of life.  And something about this song just connects to something deep within me.  Some stir my heart, others my feet.. but this one seems to have left it's fingerprint on my soul in some way.

I think it speaks to that part of us that is always searching.  Always looking to feel something that is real and lasting in this temporal world.  Something we can hold onto... even if it is pain. 

"That's the time it took
To calm these things
Better to have been with than live without it
Hold yourself, howl and scream
Finally feel everything joining underneath."

Those. Lyrics.
Maybe it's because of my noisy brain, but something about this song just calms it.  It's like a lullaby for my psyche. 

Whether it inspires, stimulates our creativity, helps us relax and unwind, or exercise, and actually does soothe the savage beast.... music is rather like an outburst from the soul.    It's a universal language; one every culture shares.   There is something so fundamental and powerful in the way in which it connects us all.   It whisks us away on an extended journey of emotion.

The way your toe starts tapping when a melody strikes your fancy?
It means music is embedded deep within every one of us.
Every one of us can understand it.
Every one of us can feel something within it.

You just gotta open yourself up: and let the music play.

The bare necessities of life -- will come to you.