book review logo photo b271ba04-c71d-4681-85fb-dedbf3dc6124_zps2d7f48b6.jpg

I recently was contacted inquiring whether I would like to review a children's book.

Oh my gosh - yes!! Yes. Yes.
Please more of this.  I love reading, and I love promoting other writers.

Especially children's authors; and not just because I generally have more time to read this genre.
Promoting a love of reading in our children is so very important!   Especially since children are born mimics and adopt behaviours based on what they see and hear.   So anytime you have an author who addresses important life lessons, or children's fears, or just in general shows they "get" children; it is absolutely my delight as a parent to help promote that author.

I am only too happy!  

So parents, what is your biggest fear concerning your child(ren)?

I am going to guess your immediate response is with regards to their health and/or well-being.
Naturally we all want healthy and happy kids.

So assuming you got that already, and now I place in you a crowded mall where the sights and sounds are so tempting and you hold on to that little ones' hand so so tightly, but then maybe you're cell phone rings and your let go of that little hand..... it's but mere moments!!! 

But when you reach out again .... nothing.
No little fingers entwined within your grasp.
yeah, that.

Cover design: Camille Yax

That's the fear from our point of view; as the grown up.   
What I loved about this book by Louie Lawent, is that it is told from the 6 year old boy's point of view.    I am sure my own children have said the exact same things to me.

Perhaps not in the same delightful rhyme:

She watches me with eagle eyes
Like I’m a treasured jewel
She cramps my style, oh man alive
“MOM, THIS JUST AIN’T COOL”

 Perhaps, aside from the overall message, my favourite thing about Momma Don't You Worry, is that it is told in rhyme.   You know that appeals to the poet in me.   It also appeals to children, and I believe it assists them in remembering the story as well.  
And this is a story you definitely want them to remember!

It is also suitable for independent readers, as my 7 year old had no difficulty reading it aloud to her younger sister.   The youngest at 5 years of age was also able to pick out many of the sight words she has been learning in her kindergarten class.

An excerpt from LadyBee Publishing:

This illustrated books tells a poetic story from a six year old's viewpoint. His mother worries too much in his opinion, until they go on a shopping trip and he gets a real appreciation for just how right his mom is.

The simple, but beautiful illustrations by Rick Radliff, enhance the reading perfectly, without distracting from the overall message.  My kids easily identified with the little boy in the story.   Especially my son who also can easily be distracted by an intriguing train set! 

I definitely recommend Momma Don't You Worry for all parents as part of their educating their children how to be safe when in public.   It's a very effective way of explaining that we don't just hold your hand because you're cute and we love you.    The other great thing is that the story also teaches children What To Do should they become separated and/or lost from their parents.   Lawent includes a happy ending; so there is no cause to worry that your child may be frightened by the story.

Hopefully it just reinforces lessons that you are already teaching within your home.
And of course, encourages them to hold onto our hands just a little bit longer.

 Mom you’re doing oh so fine,
Nothing here to fear
I know you know what lies ahead
So you go on and steer


You can find Momma Don't You Worry, by Louie Lawent in these places, and the price of just under $2.00 is very reasonable:
 
Barnes And Noble


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a copy of the reviewed title for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.



About The Author
Leslie Botchar, aka "RoryBore", is a SAHM enjoying life one day - and one cup of coffee - at at time.
She has had several articles published in The Huffington Post, and hopes to one day marry her skills as Word Wrangler and Photo Ninja. Leslie spills it all on her blog Time Out For Mom, and invites you to join her for some Mom "Me" Time.
Connect with her: Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram.