On our recent romantic, mini staycation, I took my Canon Rebel DSLR to the hotel with me...

...wait.

get your heads outta da gutter!

I'm not that kind of photographer!
And I'm a lady, thank you very much.

I'd have a professional shoot something like that.
kidding.
no one wants to see that.

The point was to also take the list of  TTLT prompts with me, and see if I could find some city sights that would fit the challenges. 

Giving that the weekend was being slammed by a big, blinding white blizzard; I thought there would be very little chance of finding and "RED."

I was reduced to trying to photograph things inside our hotel room.   So I decided to go for an abstract feel first.    I won't say what it is, I just loved the tones of red and gold and how they blurred together. 


And now I want to makeover my living room with these colours.

When the skies cleared, we opened up our drapes and lo and behold I was surprised to see that I could see quite a bit into the distance of downtown Ottawa.   Including Parliament Hill.  (for all you non-Canadians, this is the building where our Government operates, so think like the White House.  Except our Prime Minister doesn't live there.)    It is a truly gorgeous location.

Here's a photo via WikiCommons:


"Parliament Hill, as viewed from Gatineau at sunset" by Brad Brandt - https://www.flickr.com/photos/131424434@N04/16378925487/in/photostream/. Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons.

Obviously, this picture does not represent our current weather conditions.   Also, it's a different angle -- our hotel room would be in one of those tall buildings on the right.  

But, I don't know how good your eyes are; but I spy red.
And I got a pretty good zoom lens.


On.Guard.For.Thee.
(once again for those non red and white wearers: words from our National Anthem.)

Speaking of the skies,  I used my UV filter the other night when I was sunset stalking and got an interesting capture:


technically, it's not a great shot:  the focus was way outta whack.
But I LOVE how the filter created these gorgeous red tones.

That's what I love about having this photography challenge.   It keeps offering me fresh ideas of things to shoot, and to look at the world in a different way.    To keep trying and seeking new adventures to capture.   Even if they are not perfect.

But I do have to keep in mind to continue focusing my lens.    That's just good life advice right there.

What have you been capturing lately?

Through The Lens Thursday is a self-improvement photography project that Alison of Writing, Wishing and I are doing this year (again!).
Don’t forget to join our Flickr group or share your own posts if you’d like to follow along and work on your own photography! And use the hashtag #throughthelensthursday to connect with others working on it, too.
Next week’s prompt is FROWN.


About The Author
Leslie Botchar, aka "RoryBore", is a SAHM enjoying life one day - and one cup of coffee - at at time.
She has had several articles published in The Huffington Post, and hopes to one day marry her skills as Word Wrangler and Photo Ninja. Leslie spills it all on her blog Time Out For Mom, and invites you to join her for some Mom "Me" Time.
Connect with her: Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram.