http://www.thecultureconcept.com/circle/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Rose-Coloured.jpg
source
Do you like to colour?

Some days you might actually find me sprawled out on my tummy with a huge Super Hero Squad, or Barbie colouring book in front of me; my children and a vast array of crayons, markers and pencil crayons by my side.

That's the inner child in me begging for a break from the adult world.

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/03/Responsibility-GIF.gif

The adult me of course retreats to my zen place:  My Garden.
And since it would take far too long to actually paint each bloom - as per the photo above - that means I have to actually design the colour scheme for my garden.

Mostly I like to go with bright colours:  reds, blues, purples, yellows and then mix them with softer pink or white blooms.   Then add various foliage shades and patterns to blend.

It's also a good idea to carry themes across various flowers beds.   Either a colour, or a specific plant.
I tend to use a bright coloured bloom (red bee balm) and then a white bloom(white climbing sweet-pea) in each bed to give cohesion to my garden beds.

Also, I like to use hostas and tall grasses in each bed to form the background; or the canvas if you will.    If you have a fence, this can also provide a nice background and you should definitely consider the types of flowers you will plant, as per the colour and style of your fence.   Obviously any bloom will "pop" against a white fence; but not so much a black chain fence.

Here's the visual:

bright red bee balm with softer raspberry shade of astillbe

bright red bee balm with bright purple sage

make sure to match same height plants with same bloom time
LOVE the bright and interesting bloom of sage

a softer peach/pink shorter astillbe for contrast 


I also tend to pick flowers that are of the same "family"
Daisies being of my favourite.

purple coneflower, or echinacea

brown-eyed Susie, or rudebeckia
classic daisies
a garden must have:  climbing sweet pea.   I choose white to stand out against my grey fence
and then I planted purple flowers in various heights around it (bell flower, English daisy and Jacob's Ladder)
Sweet pea is a great climber, so pretty and delicate..  AND it smells fabulous.


Don't forget to add some "Art" for other visual interest.
Especially during those dormant times between blooming seasons.

a cherub and bird statue amongst purple catmint

 and don't forget your "greenery" -- make sure to choose different kinds of foliage for contrasting and for visual interest when you don't have a lot of colour.

frog statue with mirror ball in hostas, hakone grass, silver mound and phlox
It sounds like a lot of work, and very confusing, but whenever you purchase a plant it should also come with a label tag.   When I first started gardening, I kept the flowers tags grouped together according to bloom season, height, colour and soil preference.    That made it much easier to plan my garden layout.

Many garden sites also have garden plans that you can download and copy.

Honestly though, I love the trial and error of doing it myself.   If something doesn't work, I rip it out, move it, or get rid of it and try something else.

The artist must create.

Do you have a favourite flower?

ImagesByCW Photography
Curious as a Cathy



About The Author
Leslie Botchar, aka "RoryBore", is a SAHM enjoying life one day - and one cup of coffee - at at time.
She has had several articles published in The Huffington Post, and hopes to one day marry her skills as Word Wrangler and Photo Ninja. Leslie spills it all on her blog Time Out For Mom, and invites you to join her for some Mom "Me" Time.
Connect with her: Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram.