As I mentioned the other day, the plague has hit me.
I don't even know if it is the plague.

 Does the plague make you sweat so much you not only have to change your pj's, sheets...but also your pillow?
While shivering?

 One reason I am blogging is because I am literally stuck in bed.   If I lay my head down, it starts pounding and my sinuses get all stuffed up again.
And I tend to spill my tea.

The other reason I popped in was because I thought, given this incredible colder than normal winter season:  some of you might not be feeling all that well either.

If like me, you are tired, sore, coughing, sniffing/can't breathe, ears hurt, chest hurts, tummy hurts and you alternate between sweating like a pig, and shivering like a chihuahua out for a chilly morning pee; and all you can stand to think about putting in your tummy is tea and soda crackers....

.....I got the thing to help you feel better.

No.  There will be no baking.   You're sick!
I am sure someone has a really great chicken noodle soup recipe, but I am in no condition to stand at the kitchen counter and make it.
Besides, Tim Horton's makes a delicious one that your hubby can go fetch for you, and it even comes with a tea.

If even that makes your tummy turn:  believe, I feel ya.
But you must have something.   After 2 days of not eating, I realized starving my body was probably not going to help me get better.
And with all that sweating going on?   DEHYDRATION!!   
You do Not want to add that to your troubles.

Here are my recipes for making you feel better when it feels lick a Mack Truck ran you over.

1.  Popsicles.     
If this is all you can handle, especially if your throat is sore: do it.
No, put down the sugary kind.  They will do in a pinch to keep you hydrated, but in the long run, not much help.   You want to boost your Vitamin C, and perhaps have something like ginger to settle your tummy.

What I use to make my own:


If you have all those ingredients and a blender - just toss them in and then freeze in popsicle trays.
I add a little ginger ale to the mix too.

2.  Smoothies.
 These are fantastic when you are feeling sick.   The best thing is that you can put pretty much anything you want in them.  Again, you want Vitamin C, some Zinc is good, and some protein.

Vitamin C Boost:  blend 100 percent orange juice, fresh strawberries and low-fat plain yogurt (I use the organic double protein Greek variety) in a blender until smooth. Add a sprinkle of dried ginger for taste and to help reduce nausea.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuv6JEW1a5evTKMwG5R_El4ZdTyDeGmG_icF6MtVu7VJ74q0QKLwOR
a combination of 100 percent pineapple juice blended with banana, kiwi, papaya and plain yogurt

Go Green:  blend fresh pineapple, frozen ripe banana, about 1 cup of coconut milk, some shredded coconut, and about a cup of kale. 
This one is packed with Vitamin C, nutrients, but also anti-oxidants from the kale, and pineapple is known to flush toxins from the system.
All of which helps boost your immune system.


Other foods that are good to try:  strawberries, blueberries, mango, spinach, carrots, red peppers, green tea, and honey.   Just try different combinations according to your tastes.

And if you absolutely need to nibble something with your smoothie, here's a healthy ginger cookie recipe adapted from The World's Healthiest Cookie:


Ingredients
2 Tablespoon coconut flour
2 Tablespoon applesauce or mashed banana
stevia or other sweetener, to taste (I use 1-2 packets)
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ginger powder
pinch salt
1 Tablespoon almond milk
1/2 teaspoon molasses

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F.
In a small bowl, mix coconut flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, and salt. Add in applesauce or mashed banana and stir. Add in almond milk and molasses and stir until fully incorporated. Drop dough by tablespoon or teaspoon, depending on how big you want them, on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Flatten the dough into cookie shapes and bake in the oven at 350F for 10 minutes.

The 1/8 amount of ginger will definitely leave you feeling better.
Also, Cookie!!!


http://i2.wp.com/www.foodiefiasco.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/IMG_2479.jpg


My deepest apologies to everyone if I have not visisted, or returned your comments this week.  I don't know if I will ever catch up on what has passed; but let's hope for a well future where I can get to visiting you all again.