In addition to cooking All The Recipes and the doing the Zumba.....which when I think about it is probably directly related.
I've also been catching up on my reading.

I know -- it's like I have All The Hours or something!


One of my new found treasures is a book that impressed Oprah so much, she added it to her book club.

 Wild
From Lost to Found on the Pacific Coast Trail

By Cheryl Stayed


A quote from the book:

"It had to do with how it felt to be in the wild. With what it was like to walk for miles with no reason other than to witness the accumulation of trees and meadows, mountains and deserts, streams and rocks, rivers and grasses, sunrises and sunsets. The experience was powerful and fundamental. It seemed to me that it had always felt like this to be a human in the wild, and as long as the wild existed it would always feel this way.”



 As someone who finds solace and adventure in Nature, this book really spoke to me.   Just after the quote above, the author also remarks: "...before I could have known how truly hard and glorious the PCT would be, how profoundly the trail would both shatter and shelter me."

The author, at the age of 22 and in the wake of her mother's death and her own marriage destroyed, makes the most impulsive decision of her life.   She sets out to hike the Pacific Coast Trail - alone.  No experience.  No training.   Just a heaping measure of will, a guide book --- and one really heavily loaded "monster" of a backpack.

I loved every word of the telling.   The joys, pain, fears, the loneliness and true grit determination all vividly described so that I felt like I was pitching a tent on the trail right beside the author.   This story is raw and emotional; it will grip you and hold you until the end.    And ultimately inspiring.

If you have ever felt like your life is unraveling, and embarked on a journey to piece it back together: this is a book you want to add to your library.

The author is dealing with the hole left behind after her mother's death and her scattered family, but she is also coming to terms with the affect her father had upon her life:

“The father’s job is to teach his children how to be warriors, to give them the confidence to get on the horse to ride into battle when it’s necessary to do so. If you don’t get that from your father, you have to teach yourself.”

This part really spoke to me, as it is most certainly an aspect of my own wild journey.   Both of us as affected by the lack of love and guidance from our fathers, as we are by the all encompassing love bestowed by our mothers.   And how amazing it is that despite our fathers being nothing but shadow and smoke in our lives:  that failure to love becomes the wildest thing about us.   But we don't want it to be. 

I imagine if I could walk those same steps and glimpse those same amazing views, an absent father would cease to be the most amazing and interesting thing about my life.   It would become clear that there are so many other amazing things in the world.

Thanks to Cheryl's vivid and touching story:  I kinda feel like I did.