Now that I have side-lined Coffee Chat for the summer months, I have more time to devote to one of my favourite memes.

After all, music does move me.

Coffee moves me too....but in a completely different way.   that I won't be blogging about.

Somethings are better left under cover - know what I mean?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-f-I5ojV440g/UJcMF_vUg8I/AAAAAAAAJj0/lxbixMxCy6s/s1600/th_retromusic1-1.gif

XmasDolly, Conductor of this Musical trip with co-conductors Callie of JAmerican Spice, Stacy of Stacy Uncorked, Cathy of Cathy Kennedy’s Blog and introducing our Honorary Co-Conductor for the month of June is our very own NAILA MOON (APPLAUSE) of Just the Stuff You Know.  Thank you very much to Becca for serving last month! (APPLAUSE-HUGS),  It’s Time to ROCK THIS PLACE & get this TRAIN rollin’!  We’re eager for your train to arrive so we may follow you to the next stop & hear your tunes!


This week's theme comes courtesy of Steve of bethere2day who asks to submit "Cover Tunes".
Now normally, I am the kind that prefers the original and finds it is quite often the best.
But, there are a few cover songs that do stick out as being almost, if not better, than the original.

First up is a man - who yes as a matter of fact did use to paint on his jeans - I am pretty sure that is fact.  I had the absolute good fortune to see him in concert and to this day consider it one of the best live acts I've ever seen.

Dwight Yoakem does Elvis Presley:  Suspicious Minds




Next song is one of those ones that cannot truly be improved upon.  However, Everclear does do a very nice rocking version of Brown Eyed Girl that is good for a change of pace from Van Morrison's original. 




This next one... well the story goes that Bob Dylan himself said it was better than his original.
And who am I to argue with Bob?   And honestly.....Jimi and a guitar makes anything better.




This next one is a pretty close call too.   Either that or....well how much do I just love Joan Jett and why has she not appeared on 4M yet?   Must be rectified.

Joan Jett does Tommy James and The Shondells Crimson and Clover




Finally, a rare cover that I think is truly better than the original.  Meaning it takes the original and improves upon it.....yet somehow doesn't take anything away either.  The cover band makes the song its own - puts it's own stamp and tone upon it; yet does not stray so far from the original intent as to create an entirely new song.   Sorry Bruce, but the naked ladies did it best.

although major kudos to Bruce for what may be the best lyric phrase in musical history:

 gonna kick the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.




On a side note, The Barenaked Ladies are also a band I had the privilege to see.  In fact many times.
In fact, almost every Friday night my first year of university since they played frequently at The Elbow Room pub on University of Western Ontario campus.  I actually remember a demo disc being based around my dormitory and everyone wanting a copy.   This song was not on the demo tape, but it did become the band's first Top 40 hit.  

Do you prefer the original version of a song, or do you like to hear new versions?