My poetry muse Janice over at Mommy's Lounge had invited me to participate in a blog challenge for the month of May.
You can find the prompts over at Jenni from Story of My Life blog. 
It looks like a lot of fun and there are some very interesting prompts to help you each day.

As I said, it's over the month of May.

Today is May 2nd.
I'm already behind.

The sun is finally shining, I am shoeless and my garden beckons.
But I still want to blog.

Balancing all your wants in life.....it's sure hard to handle sometimes.


The rules are really easy:

1. Grab the Pondering with a Purpose Badge (in my sidebar)
2. Look at the week's prompt
3. Post something on your blog that relates to the prompt - it can be a story, a poem, a picture -- anything you want it to be.
4. Come back here and add the URL from your post to the linky list below.
5. Go check out the other bloggers who have added their links to the list.
6. AND most of all.... Have fun!

Today's prompt is: Handel  


Now, I am not normally the grammar police or anything, because Good and Thanks to the Lord for spell check or I'd have to return my own degree.    But the above title does say "Handel"....

....thus, I think of this:

http://www.52composers.com/images/handel-tile300.jpg
George Frideric Handel
 Now, I know that is not likely what my lovely host meant.....but, still kinda fits, right?
And since I love music;  he stays in the post.

Certainly I can think of all kinds of pretty "handles" for door and cabinet purposes.   Or with which to grab and carry things.
On that note - how frustrating is it when one of the handles breaks on the bag of groceries you are carrying?    The one with the eggs -- because, of course.

But that is not really where my mind is at with today's prompt.
I am thinking of  "how to handle" today.    Or "getting a handle on.."   As in Life.
It sounds much better than that dreaded "B" word.    Who has that?

But as things have a way of doing....pondering how to handle all the things I must juggle in my life:  home, kids, husband.... want, dreams....needs; only brings me back to that word:  Balance.

Naturally, this leads me to ponder knife throwing.


Wait....what?

Did you know that the balance of the blade is determined by the weight of the handle?
When considering  the balance of a knife in general, one should know that the proper balance for a particular knife varies with its intended application.

If you require precise control of the knife - so either a scalpel, or, say for wood carving; the majority of the weight will be in the handle, to allow for precise application of the blade.

If you've got some chopping to do:  a Blade-heavy knife is typically your best bet.  They have a weight-forward balance that allows them to be swung with greater momentum and power.

For general purpose, the knife will have a neutral balance that is most likely located where your index finger will be.  This allows for use of the entire length of the blade and great control.

As for throwing a knife: 

 an object twirling through space will seek its own center and spin around that center.

Thus, any of the three types of knives can be used for throwing:  it's all in where you grip the knife.
The basic rule is that you grip the light end of the weapon and swing the heavy end when you throw.

 Um Rory, you might say, I think you need to slow down on the Walking Dead episodes.  
Thou are not Daryl Dixon.

No.  True enough.   I'd probably run screaming and hide from any zombie attack.

But, I can see the life lesson inherent in the sport of knife throwing:

When life gets too hard to handle and your spinning in circles  -- all you need to do -- Is Get a Grip!

 *if you want to learn all kinds of stuff about knives, go where I went to get my info.*

And since it is not Christmas, you get this musical interlude instead:



And of course this also.
Because I think we can all handle a little bit of Daryl Dixon each day.



You're welcome.
I think I handled this prompt rather well.

 http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xu_Vo79R0NU/TKzg1y2ts6I/AAAAAAAAAB4/AMyMGFJiqu0/s1600/Orange%2520Cheeky%2520monkey.gif