Hello and welcome to this weeks' Coffee Chat!

Before we get started, a moment of silence as our thoughts and prayers go out to the city of Boston today.

 http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/boston-marathon-memorial-604x272.jpg

 I'm still kind of stunned.
To have picked such an event:  just innocent people striving towards a personal best.
What purpose other than to just instill fear and terror in the hearts of people?
We'll never be able to make sense out of these kinds of tragedies.
It's just another part of this ever increasing violent world we must survive; to rise again.

And we will.

My chat topic doesn't seem appropriate at all.


Tuesday April 16, 2013 


All Fun and Games.  
My church is having a Family  Game Night soon.   What were your favourite board games growing up?  Do you still play?



One of my favourite games I can remember from my childhood was Clue.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-nFA4eeBZi0c/UKpaJSRkJ0I/AAAAAAAAEps/U62LJfQnYoQ/s1600/clue.jpg

To this day I still love a good mystery.    Heck...I married a cop.   (and yes, he is a mystery most of the time also.)    Most of our favourite shows are still just trying to solve "Whodunit?" :  like CSI, Criminal Minds, Elementary. 

Once my brain spots a good mystery, it will not let go until it is unraveled.




The other one I loved was Twister.


I cannot wait until all my children can finally get their Left and Right....well, right..... so we can play this game.   We have the indoor game and an outdoor version too.


 And let's be honest now:  who has ever played after they've been into the wobbly pops a bit?






The game I loved to hate -- oh just thinking about this game causes me fists to clench and my stomach to get all knotted.   We had some epic all weekend long battles over this board:


http://www.philstoddart.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/RISK.JPG


It would not even be healthy for me to bring this into my home.   Seriously, the people I used to play with?   Actual fist fights broke out.
It was a blast.
(If you are Canadian, or watch hockey, you'll understand that.)

 Naturally, having an English Degree means I ROCK at any Word Games like Scrabble, Scattegories, or TextTwist.

No one will ever play with me.  :(

 
Since my children are all fairly young right now, we mostly play the simple card games like Go Fish, or Uno, or this new one Skip-Bo.



 I've wasted many an hour over this board in the last 5 years:


 I always get the stupid sucker or whatever it is and have to go all the way back to the beginning.



But every now and then, when mama is feeling in a good mood and wants to take a stroll down memory lane:  well then,  it's every hippo for himself!!




Well, perhaps some good old fashioned family bonding over the game table is exactly what we all could use on days like this.    To recall a simpler time when it didn't matter whether you won or lost; but how you played the game.  

What games do you like to play?

Next Week:  What Was, or What's to Be?:   If you had the choice of going back in the past to a specific time in history, OR, if you could travel ahead into the future (you are coming back to present, don't worry) --- which would you choose?