It has occurred to me lately that my children make gross miscalculations regarding my ability to "Find Things Out."

This is a mistake on their part.

Really, you did not have any chocolate Angel Girl?

No,I didn't MOM!

Monkey Boy, did you pinch your baby sisters' ear?  Did you?

No, mama.  I never hurt baby.

A little advice Kiddos:    Mama has a camera and she's not afraid to use it.

Also, digital is forever.

All those times you hid the peas under your plate, or your brother's "missing" Lego in your doll house, or ripped off Ken's head and hid it in revenge; or the chocolate bar under your pillow for a late night snack (also, do be smarter and not let your baby sister, aka "The Informer" hear you open the wrapper).....  these things you thought would be kept secret?

All is eventually revealed.
Mama will find out.    It's a gift really.

But how does one explain the spiritual concept of "sin" to children?   That their Heavenly Father is also watching and seeing all?    Without it being a scary "boogie man" thing.
That unrepentant sin causes a separation between us and God; and since He loves us so much - he doesn't want anything to separate us from that love.

These little "secrets" got me thinking, how amazing is human nature that even as small children the age of 3, they try to hide their secrets/sins in dark places; but that they always come to light.
So why, even as adults, to we try to cover up and conceal our wrong-doings?

I did the following Object Lesson in Sunday School, and I thought I would share it with my readers, some of whom might just be in the thick of the "lying season".

*I did not think of this on my own - but I didn't copy the link to where I found it.  Some other teacher more clever than I should receive the credit.   God Bless ya!*


"Sins Revealed" - What You Will Need:

a clear glass or jar
some plastic buttons
dark cola like Coke or Root beer
a spoon

The Lesson:  Even when we try to hide our sins, or pretend they never happened,
they have a way of showing up, like buttons in a glass of cola.



What you will say:
Have you ever felt that after doing something wrong, if you just keep it a secret no one will ever find out? Do you know that no matter how hard we try to keep our sins a secret they have a way of becoming known? Let me show you what I mean.

(Pour the soda into the glass) This glass represents you, and this soda, well it represents a place where we hide our bad secrets, maybe deep inside our heart where we do not want anybody to know. Now these buttons here represent sin. (Point to buttons.) This button is that time you lied to someone, this button is that time you did not want to share with your friend, and this button represents that television show your parents told you not to watch, but you did anyway. I am going to drop these sins into this glass of soda, and they will be hidden from our sight, just like hiding our sins. (Drop all buttons into the cola.)

Can you see them? They are hidden. Nevertheless, we can only keep these sins a secret for a little while; eventually sin has a way of coming to the surface. Look, there they are. Sin cannot be hidden forever. Therefore, instead of trying to hide sin, we need to try our best to do what is right. When we do fail, we know that we can ask Jesus to forgive us, and he will.
The Bible says, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." (1John 1:9)

He will clean us of our sins, just like this.
(Remove buttons with spoon.) Now our heart (soda) is clean again.

Say the following prayer to teach the children how they can ask God's forgiveness:

 I am sorry Lord for acting the way I did today; Forgive me for all the wrong things I did today. please help me and lead me in your way.
Thank you Father for forgiving me, for washing and cleansing me.
Thank you for loving me even when I fall short of your glory.
Amen.

So my dear minions, next time you are feeling that urge to fib to your mama, though the evidence is clearly against you, remember that mamas,  like God, have a special ability to find out what you done wrong.

But also, like your Heavenly Father....no matter the wrong you have done; there is always, always Love Never-Ending and Unfailing.