Are you a music lover?

I most certainly consider myself one.    Before I had to share my abode with tiny dictators - or my stereo with the Wiggles *eye roll*, I had music playing pretty much all day long.

It could be country (don't judge - I was in an actual barn and riding horses),  rock, rap, blues, jazz, soul, or gospel.    My mood determined the jams.

Much to the chagrin of my fellow Zoo Crew dorm mates - this included NKOTB out my window during those numerous false fire alarms.    Call sign then:  Super New Kid.    You're welcome - stop pulling the damn fire alarm - I'll stop Hanging Tough.


Far more than writing my own obituary, I would much rather share the soundtrack of my life.   A miles long list of all the songs that have followed me from the cradle.....to, well, my final drum roll, if you will.    I've even told Left Brain that my tombstone simply must be inscribed: "what a long, strange trip it's been."   Deadheads will get it.

And speaking of passing; a moments pause before we continue.   Although, I feel much too young to be witnessing the death of my musical heroes.  A moment of silence to honour an incredible musical visionary - the punk rapper who grew up to become a peaceful, loving man.  Proving that enlightenment -- it is possible.

RIP MCA 
*tick,tock,tick,tock....*

Aside from my abiding affinity for My Right To Party - and the numerous times I fought that fight with the adolescent anthem blaring in the background -- Oh MCA -- I love ya more as a man:
 
"I want to say a little something that's long overdue/ The disrespect to women has got to be through/ To all the mothers and sisters and the wives and friends/ I want to offer my love and respect to the end"    "Sure Shot" 1994

Okay, moment observed.   So respect y'all - Make Some Noise

 (yes, you might see some familiar faces in this tribute video.)

 Now to today's question:    If you are to be the next great pop/rock/rap star, what song will kill it at your audition?  
Or, simply share some of your fave music.   I got an iTunes gift card just itchin to be used and an iPod only half full.

Recently, I've been returning to some soul/jazz/R&B roots that I used to listen to when I worked in a Cajun themed restaurant/club.    Sunday afternoons were always a live band.   I remember this Dixieland band that just slammed it every time.   The seniors from the villa across the road would come and suddenly I'd be looking up how to mix drinks like "Golden Cadillac", "Manhattan", "Rusty Nail".....and many, many gin and tonics.  

My recent jams have been a lot of Etta James, Irma Thomas, Nina Simone, Chet Baker, Ella, Miles Davis, Ole Blue Eyes, Elvis, and some Buckwheat Zydeco.    Also, some newer voices like Mayer Hawthorne, Colbie Caillat, Adele,  Michael Buble (hush - he's Canadian!), and Jason Mraz.

Guess with a birthday looming large, I am a wee bit soulful and reflective lately.    I guess the music I listen to will always be a reflection of what I am going through.

And if words should ever fail me......there will always be music.    It's really just poetry for my ears.   It washes away all the daily dust of life.

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence."
- Robert Fripp





So, for my audition (if you've been here before it really should be no surprise) I will be sitting there, guitar in hand, and sweetly singing - Moon River.


If I could sing.
Or play the guitar.

But, don't wreck my dream - heart breaker.


What's on your playlist?

 Also linking up my quote with:





NEXT WEEK:    This is very, very important question my dear readers:  It will be Mother's Day AND my birthday next Sunday -- does Left Brain need 1 gift; or two?   Acceptable answers might also reference day spa phone numbers and local Irish pubs.


 warm wishes sign.