Poetry Workshop This week's prompt:   April Showers Brings May Flowers

This week, I’d like you to pick a flower to represent your mom, you (if you’re a mom), or just motherhood in general.  Whichever works for you.  So we’re going for some sort of symbolism here.


I took a "Which Flower are You" quiz HERE, because I all scientific like that.

Or, an hour staring at my newly bloomin flowers failed to give me much poetic inspiration.   I love them......but how am I like them?   Wildflowers would be easy choice to represent my youth -- but as a mom?   Flowers represent my escape from the house and children; that doesn't sound very Mother Earth.    So, all I ended up with was dirty fingernails and a sore back.  Oye!



 1128968599_rPicslily2.JPG
You are a Lily:
You are graceful, gentle, calm, and pure and perhaps a little shy (though your shyness is part of your charm). You are a very honorable person who always wants to do the right thing. Your calm attitude has a soothing effect on others.
Symbolism: The lily has long been used as a symbol of majesty, honor, chastity, and purity of heart.

Well doh!  Of course that is soooo me indeed!

The coolest thing?    It's my birthday next week - yay 31!  *snort*  and that would make my "birth flower" -- you guessed it - Lily of the Valley.    It also makes me a Taurus.   Which makes me think of this:

Ferndinand the Bull
Inspiring much?
Let's break it down shall we?  

The flowers representing life, beauty, softness, fragility, earth
the bull representing strength, perseverance,  hard work, determination and will

Sounds like a mom to me!  
That's how my prose mind works folks.   I told ya it was entertaining.


 This weeks' was hard fought folks.   Despite what you might think -- it doesn't always flow freely in 5 minutes or less.   Ok, here we go:


I once was a seed
a tiny seed that dreamt big
of sun-kissed skies
and giving rains
blowing wild as the wind
waiting for the day
I could reach up
and touch the sky

just a tiny seed
lost and buried
fragile and hopeful
but my roots went deep
took firm hold
and up, up, I dreamt
through morning dew
and passed into light

I linger'd in golden climes*
as weary time wore on
measured by the suns steps
and winters' shroud
while rain drops rent
my leaves with tears
withered petals dropping
where I pined alone

but butterfly kisses
and tickling bees toes
scatter my worth
which slowly sows
in truth and beauty
the nurses's emblem
grows most fragrant,pure
in the valley shade

amidst earths' quiet nooks
my legacy patiently watches
for April showers signal
our brief spring budding
in that fragrant garden
my many buds live and know
though summer bid us adieu
Mother May will see us reborn


*Poetic allusions/inspirations:   Ah! Sun-Flower - William Blake

Lily of the Valley from my garden


What kind of flower are you -  wild as the wind, or rooted deep?

 warm wishes sign