The sky was still gray when I opened my eyes, alerted by the sounds of a disturbance coming from the girls' bedroom. A sudden wwhhhoooooshhh telling me their window blind would be my first challenge of the day.

A careful one-eyed peek towards my own window, in expectation of the previous days where I was greeted by the cheerful morning Sun since Springs' early arrival.   Dreary gray.    O'God o'clock, or rain?
Both.   More challenges.

As I drag myself to the living room and insert the Dora DVD: a desperate attempt to buy myself and their still sleeping brother a few more minutes of shut eye.   Oh Lord please let them be quiet for 20 minutes.  But I know it's the exact parental omen feared by all:  this day is going to be long.   Glancing at the rainy sky beyond the patio doors it occurs to me.   No way these children who have cavorted in the fresh, warm spring air, in tank tops and shorts dug from their winter resting place beneath turtlenecks and long johns, will be content to be stuck in doors today.     For now at least, they are intrigued - for the possibly 145th time - as to how Dora will get to the top of Star Mountain.

Dora, I am sorry I ever wished you'd just get a GPS already.    I crawl back under warm covers.

But it is not to be.   Darn interactive preschool entertainment programming.

Catch 'em, Catch'em.   How many stars did you catch Zoo Zoo?


Ummm,  1,2,3,4,7,12!

Even in my early morning fog, I can't resist a chuckle.
Sigh.  If you can't beat them, might as well join them.

Fluffy fleece pj and slipper clad, I stumble to the kitchen, body on auto-pilot reaching for favourite coffee mug.    Select my poison - oh yes, it's a Kahula kind of rainy, early Saturday morning.   Insert, press button and wait for the aroma to kick start my brain.
And....nothing.   Nada. 
Ok, ok....remain calm mommy.   Might just be low on water.    I add more.   Nothing.  Zilch.  No sound at all from my Keurig.    I may have uttered a not nice word.
I lift the water reservoir and slam it back down.  (hey, it was recommended by the support staff the last time this happened.   It may have felt good.)
Still nothing.
This is a challenge I am not prepared to take lightly.    The children are whining for warm milk; the chill from the open kitchen window has them snuggled under blankets on the couch.

R U Kidding Me?    There is no coffee!
We are at Def Con 1 here people!

And with that, one tired mom unleashed her early morning fatigue upon one some-what innocent coffee maker.   If one hit is supposed to help.....why not several.   And a few more choice words - uttered in my best mom whisper of course.  One good palm smack to the side of the machine.

What the #@% is wrong with you, you stupid machine!  I am done with you.  *smack* Tim Horton's has a drive thru -- you are replaceable.   @$$%, stupid !@$$ darn piece of junk *smack*  Brew dammit!  Brew!
*smack, smack*

The familiar sound of the water pump and hissing, then drip, drip, drip reaches my ears.   The aroma penetrates my frazzled brain.     S'sly?    A few bad words and some smacks did the trick?    I take my now filled cup and walk away, and in the aftermath, taking my first heavenly sip, I can't help but smile:

I need a wardrobe change:  my coffee maker likes it rough and I am not above a little S&M to get my morning fix.   Don't judge.   I am now happily snuggled on the couch with my hot brew, and Dora has reached the top of Star Mountain.
Def Con 5 achieved.   We did it!

warm wishes sign