I wish I could say "TGIF" with some real feeling.  Perhaps even a little jump in the air, and a fist pumping "woot, woot." But really, when you are a SAHM....it's just another day. There's no real celebration of one thing ending, and the relief of a new, refreshing beginning.  The weekend isn't any easier; it might even be busier.   Perhaps I should think of some little gesture that I can do each Friday night, after the kids are abed, to mark the transition, and create a better frame of mind.  Something that I can look forward to each week.

I mean, besides of course the awesome fun that is 5 Question Friday!! 




1. How close to your childhood dreams is your life now?
Not close at all really.  Especially since I was never one of those girls that dreamed of her wedding day, and had names picked out for her children.  I didn't dream of family vacations, park picnics/playdates, or backyard BBQ's.  Not that I didn't want that, exactly.  I just figured it would happen if it was meant to be.  I didn't really worry about it.  Until then, I got my "papers", the job, and even travelled a bit.   However, I wouldn't change a thing.  Which just proves.. when you are busy looking and getting what you want, often you will end up getting exactly what you Need.  For more, read This Is Me page.

Although, I still think it would be way cool to be surfer girl/cowboy.

2. What is one must have item for the summer?
Is vacation without kids an "item".  LOL.    Hmm, should I pick a plant for my garden?  A great read?  A new bathing suit?  Ah....there you go.  How about a better body to put into that new swim suit?   Body isn't an "item".  Tough.  That's what I am choosing.   Now excuse me, but I have a date with an elliptical machine.

3. Do you have your kids stay up on school stuff during summer vacation? (Or, if you don't have kiddos, did your parents make you keep up on school stuff during summer?)
 
I do actually.  But not anything really formal.  I don't make my son sit and do 20 minutes of summer homework a day.  But we will make sure he continues to read aloud to us almost every day.  Will work on his math - but in "real situations".  Like when the ice cream bike comes jingling its' way down our street and he wants 3 different popsicles that are over $2 each....and he only has a quarter, a dime and 2 pennies.  Yeah, figure it out son.  stuff like that. 

My daughter will be starting Jr Kindergarten in the Fall, so we will probably just continue with ABC, 123, and tracing the letters and numbers.

4. Do you can or freeze fresh produce?
I do not can.  But sure, I freeze fresh produce at times.  I make my own jam, so if strawberries, etc. are on sale, I will buy and freeze them.  (Plus, frozen strawberries and blueberries are a great snack...especially in summer.)   I do not make freezer jam since most recipes I know have quite a bit of sugar.   I always have an Amish Friendship Bread sweetbread starter in the freezer, and when I bake the loaves, I freeze a couple since I make 4 at a time.  It is sooo yummy!  Especially my butterscotch one.  And if I cannot use up all the tomatoes from the plant, I will freeze the tomatoes - in various ways.

5. Do you get ready for the day first thing in the morning?
If by that you mean, get out of bed and go make coffee.  Yes.  I am ready to greet the day -- after I have finished coffee of course.  If you mean, present myself at bus stop, appropriately attired, with make-up face on, and proper balanced breakfast consumed -- as opposed to just coffee -- then, um....that's Big No.

And sorry, can't say the kids fare much better.   Well, Monkey Boy is the exception -- these schools today have strict rules about sending your kids properly clothed and fed; AND with completed homework in backpack.  But you might just find Angel Girl at bus stop in bathing suit with granola bar in hand, and Zoo Zoo still in her sleeper with a handful of cheerios.   Yeah, I can be slack like that somedays.  
 
Nothing really counts before that 2nd cup of coffee......does it?

Do you have a special "It's the Weekend!!" tradition that you do?  Can I come over?