I remember exactly where I was, when the news broke.
I received the news much later than the majority of the world. In fact, it was all said and done by the time I was aware. Nonetheless, there it was in front of me: emitting its horror, not live, but with great impact. Over 40 various TV screens and in Dolby Surround Sound.  I still recall the sound of planes hitting metal and the collapse like a freight train rushing past.

I thought it was a movie.
"Wow - what a stunt. How the heck did they do that special affect? Crazy what Hollywood can do these days!#

Are you kidding me? she asked.   Whaddya talking about....it's not a movie!

I say, eh?

You see, I worked for the Government back then, and we were on strike.  Being young and single then, I took the night shift on the picket line.  And went home to bed.  Slept all day until almost dinner, and had to dash to Future Shop.  And there broadcast on all their TV screens, the sound a deafening roar......planes crashing into the Twin Towers.   The Twin Towers falling.  The great dust ball that swept over that great city, "that never sleeps" - and never would easy again.

I'd visited New York City in high school.  I walked those streets.  Stared in awe at Lady Liberty from the ferry.   She really is majestic and beautiful so close.  Climbed those towers.  I remember.   I have an amazing picture of the New York city skyline - those amazing towers rising far above all else.    I don't need to look at the picture to remember.

It is not my city.  It is not even my country.   And still, I remember.
The more I learned, the deeper the shock.  Terrorist attack?  They wouldn't dare!  The pentagon too? And one crashed?   Father, Father...we need some help from up above.
If I was this torn and broken....if I am weeping, shocked, what must my neighbours to the South be feeling.    I can't imagine; I have that luxury......so I don't forget.  

And now some closure.  No, it won't bring back the 3,000 plus who lost their lives that day.  Or those that gave their lives fighting every day since.    But there is one less terrorist in the world today.  One less chance for evil to spread it's death and destruction amongst us.  A victory for freedom. 

I will remember this victorious day too.   Not just because justice, or vengeance was finally served.  No, I will remember it as confirmation that all things done in darkness, will eventually be brought to light.  There was a time I wept for my American neighbours, now I rejoice with you.  I rejoice, not over a death, but that Peace may now have new life.  

I love this picture.   To me it represents more than just National Pride.   To stake your flag is to stake your claim.  I can just imagine these dirty, battle weary, heart-broken firefighters saying:  This is our Home...and we will not be moved.  No matter the destruction you would bring against us...we will not away.


Update: 
I would challenge us all towards one thing:  let us now seek as diligently with hearts, minds and budgets towards peace, tolerance and understanding; as we have previously sought war.    For war does not change the hearts and minds of men:  only the Saviour can do that.   And we are now, more than ever, a world in desperate need of the Saviour.