So I took Angel Girl to the store today because someone gave her an Easy Bake Oven that their girls didn't use anymore.  We picked out Smore's Treats, Sugar Cookies (with pink sprinkles, mais yes!), and brownie mix, and blueberry muffin tops.  Then we get home and she's so excited to bake in her very own little oven.....especially since Mommy has been doing so much baking lately.    So we try these blueberry muffin top things.....mixing is no problem, but the oven is not the same as when I was a little girl.   Mine opened in the front just like a real oven.  Well, now you have to push the little baking pan through this trap door thing into the centre of the oven.  I say there Betty Crocker.....if it ain't broke....don't fix it.  Some idiot kid burned themselves way back in my day....right? 

this is not exactly easy for a 3 1/2 year old. (yeah, yeah, granted.....it says Age 8 on the box).   So whatever, I help her push it in and then I have to set the timer on my real oven because you can't actually set a timer on the Easy Bake anymore.    And you can't see through the front window  AT ALL!    And because you have to push the darn thing into AND out of the oven.....you can't even peek to check the progess.    So when you have guessed that it might be done, you push it through to the other side which has a door that pushes up.  YEAH.....pushes up and grazes the top half of whatever you baked right off!!    I now hate the thing. What frackin genius thought this up?  So then, being smart meself, I thinks......where do all those destroyed pieces of food go?   There is no door in front that you can open to clean the frickin thing out.   You can't access the oven component at all.  Well now, isn't that sanitary for little girls everywhere?   100's of little crumbs just burning up in there every time they plug it in.    That's when I notice the smoke coming out......

So I decide to turn the thing on its' side and shake it a bit to see if the charred crumbs will fall out.   And great they do, but then.......accidents will happen.   The darn thing slips out of my hand and falls onto the counter.....maybe a 5 cm drop, if even.   And the light goes out.    Great, I broke the bulb -- you know, the doo-hickey thingey inside the bulb...filament??  (poor Angel Girl is patiently mixing up the Smore's graham cookies batter during all this.)  So I send Left Brain for his screwdriver and another bulb.  Which we don't have....bulbs that is....because every bulb in our house is an energy saver one!  Yah Betty Crocker.....guess you're not down with the whole Green movement yet.  So LB actually has to go to the Cdn. Tire to get an old fashioned bulb (sure hope the green police don't catch him!).   Meanwhile we decide to start the smores off in the toaster oven, and Angel Girl eagerly starts mixing the chocolate frosting and marshmallow creme.  Which, let's face it, is really the whole appeal anyway.   So LB arrives home and changes the bulb.  plugs the unit it.......nothing.  no light.  nada.  el oven es darko.  no matter what he does....we can't get it to work again.   Thank you God that Angel Girl is already happily devouring her first smore so she isn't too upset yet.   But mama is royally ticked.  That teensy, tiny little bump actually broke the thing?  And it's made for kids?   Zoo Zoo has chucked my cell phone down the stairs, off the table.....it still works.   Monkey Boy has a digital camera that has......well actually....what hasn't happened to it would take less time.....it still works.    But not the Easy Bake....it's a fragile wee thing.  Have you seen the housing around the bulb???  we can't even figure out what might have broken.

I feel a letter coming on......

Plus, here I am now with packages of Easy Bake food......and no oven to cook it in.   And even worse, the stupid thing will now just be landfill for my great, great grandchildren to deal with.   Plus, Angel Girl is so upset  that Mommy.....of all people, broke her oven, that I will have to buy a replacement one.  urrghh!

Yep, a mildly worded letter...... last time I did that (Mr. O Pee Chee that didn't have the licking stick in my package of Fun Aid!!) I got a whole box of free candy!!    If all else fails.....well, I guess we'll just eat cake from the toaster oven.